FreeDNS does not work as a custom server IP ???????

Tyvic

New user
I use FreeDNS to get a custom IP for my minecraft bukkit server. I followed the YT steps, but my friend cannot join.

(NOTE: I did not port-forward and cannot understand the YouTube Videos, if that helps at all).

I need an answer if anyone knows why this is not working.

Thanks,
~Tyvic

CaptAdric

Forum Moderator
if your home hosting then the port forwarding will be the main issue. however if you IP isn't a dedicated one like say: 192.99.7.178:25565 then your domain IP will need the port number on the end like: play.tanmc.net:25597 in order to join

Tyvic

New user
Ok I will try this, thank you. I want the IP to be in words cause I don't want to reveal my real IP address. Also the weird thing is that when I put the FreeDNS IP into my server.properties file it says: *FAILED TO BIND TO PORT*

And for FreeDNS, you need an end IP such is strangled.net or ignorelist.com.

Last edited:

CaptAdric

Forum Moderator
unfortunately I won't of huge help with free DNS since I have a paid domain which makes it a little easier along with a dedicated IP bungee server. but here's my best example

say you IP for your server was 192.43.5.123:25567 <- (made up) then you had a free DNS with something like epicserver.freedns.net <- (could be longer)
you would make a A record for the server using the IP as the address (without port) and the name being what you want the custom IP to be "epicserver.freedns.net".

after a while the IP epicserver.freedns.net:25567 will work

If your host allows it you can then go on to create a SRV record for the port however these are rarely offered out.

However if your IP is a 25565 one then you won't need the port on the end.

The failed to bind to port error is one you shouldn't get, don't change the server IP part in the server.properties as the DNS will allow player to go through the custom IP. simply just don't hand out you number IP and no-one will know.

Hope this helps in some way :)

Tyvic

New user
Yes it does :) Thanks. I was putting it in the server.properties that's why. If anyone has more info, feel free to post here. I monitor here at least once a day and twice if I had time.

By the way, a great server I play on is mc.superfuntime.org. Version is 1.7 but 1.8 compatible. Friendly players, staff, survival, Factions is not on the main server but type /factions ingame to go to the factions server. :)

King_of_Nomads

New user
you will need to portforward.
If you give me your router model i'll probably be able to find a tutorial for portforwarding your router.

[AH] Discord Widget