It says "Authentication Servers Are Down," but...?

Rynfyre

New user
Hi all! This is my first post on the forum. Nice to meet everyone. :)

tl;dr version is, I'm getting the "Authetication servers are down" message, but upon checking, I can see that they are not down at all. I am quite perplexed.

Now, for the detailed version:

I've been having issues with my vanilla server over the past three days. I'm the kind of person who only plays Minecraft in stints with long breaks in between, so I wanted to get my server back up and running so I could play with my friends again. The last update I had was 1.6.4.

So I downloaded the new server (1.7.10), agreed to the EULA, but found my server wasn't working.

Deleted the server (everything but backed-up world files), deleted java, deleted Minecraft itself, reinstalled everything. Still, when I start up the server, I'm having issues.

I can see the server in my list of Multiplayer servers, but when I click to login, I get this message:

"Failed to connect to the server

Authentication servers are down. Please try again later, sorry!"

I've been looking and looking online for answers to my problem, but I just can't seem to make any headway. I saw many people saying this had happened to them earlier this year or even as far back as 2012, and that this was simply a problem on Mojang's end and was just a waiting game until Mojang could get it fixed. However, when I check sites like http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/minecraft.net.html , it says Minecraft should be working fine.

In addition, my brother has been running a Feed the Beast server over the past couple of days with no issues (and, at one time when I was trying to get my vanilla server working, I could hear him playing FTB with his friends at the same time--no connection issues for him whatsoever).

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Has anyone been having this issue over the past couple of days?

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but my server console also has nothing displayed other than "Memory Use" and "Avg tick." Maybe this is just something they changed since 1.6.4, but I was used to seeing lots of dialogue in the Log and Chat box as the server starts up, as well as a constantly-updating diagram above Memory Use and Avg tick that shows how much memory my server is using. However, in this 1.7.10 server, I'm not getting that chart or any of that other dialogue.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any suggestions and help!

- Rynfyre

TheXFactor117

Regular user
Forum Supporter
It may be an issue with your Firewall or something similar to that. Try turning it off, and seeing if the problem resolves. If it does, turn it back on and find a way to allow Minecraft to run through the Firewall.

Does this happen to all servers you join, or just this one?

Rynfyre

New user
Thanks for the reply, XFactor! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

I just tried turning off my antivirus software, but I still have the same problem. From what I can tell, I don't have any other security software/firewalls running.

The only other server I've tried to join was my brother's FTB server, which I have no problem getting onto. It seems to just be a problem with my server.

Rynfyre

New user
Sorry for the double post; couldn't figure out how to edit my own comment.

I'm still not 100% sure what the problem was, but I managed to get it working this morning. Something must have been blocking it somehow.

I was having trouble getting a completely different game to start up, and I saw someone suggested performing a Clean Boot (http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/). That not only fixed the other game, it also fixed my Minecraft server. I can start the server up and it works fine--no more "Authentication" message. I'll have to go through item by item and figure out what startup program was messing with my games!

iTheActiveWizz

New user
Im Now having this issue for a while, i use a server BOX for my server however ANYONE can't join my server -_- any fixes yet?

[AH] Discord Widget